Sunday, May 25, 2014

Asian Heritage Festival: Met MC Jin

Me with MC Jin :D

Last week, I had the wonderful opportunity to take a picture with a celebrity for the very first time. His name is MC Jin, the only American-Born Chinese (ABC) rapper to become famous in Hong Kong due to his ability to rap in freestyle effectively in both Cantonese and English. Although he is illiterate in Chinese, he speaks Cantonese-- his native tongue-- very fluently. I would say that he is like the Justin Bieber of Hong Kong. It was a pleasure to see MC Jin for the first time at the Asian Heritage Festival in San Francisco, California on May 17th, 2014. I actually took the train with my sister to get to the festival since we haven’t took public transportation for a while and it was really fun. During MC Jin’s performance, he sang 2 of his renowned Cantonese songs, “ABC” & “It’s Hip-hop” which I both sang along to since I’m quite familiar with the lyrics. In addition, he also performed a few of his English songs such as “Brand New Me,” “Shoot for the Moon,” and “You Might Not Know Me.”

Autographed by Jin
 The thing I liked the most about the show was how he interacted with his fans very well, making everyone feel like family. The surprising moment was when he suddenly jumped off the stage and ran towards a random guy fan to bring him up to the front so that they can sing along together. I think it was really nice of him to do that since doing so can make his fan feel closer to him. He performed for a total of 30 minutes before he got off the stage to hold an autograph session where fans also got to take pictures with him. Other than photo ops and signing CDs, he was also selling his latest English albums as well as other merchandises which my sister bought. There were no lines formed for the autograph session so everyone had to try to squeeze through the crowd to get a picture with him. When it was my turn, I was a bit nervous and speechless when I approached him but he was very accommodating and acknowledged all of his fans by answering all questions and asking for our names. I didn’t know what to say besides “Hi, can you sign my CD?” and “Can I take a pic with you? Anyways, I was very glad that he signed my “ABC” CD, which I brought along with me; his ABC album was actually his first Cantonese album to be released in Hong Kong. This event was a dream come true for me since I have always wanted to take a picture with a celebrity. Thanks Jin for fulfilling my dream. J

No comments:

Post a Comment